OUR HISTORY

1949 Parish established due to overcrowding at Blessed Sacrament, St. Dominic, and St. Bernard; 4,000 parishioners registered in first year

1949-66 Msgr. Charles Yingling (Pastor)

1951 — School and convent buildings completed

1951 School opened

1956 Nearly 12,500 parishioners/4,500 families

1958 Rectory building and school addition completed

1962 Church building completed

1966 — Social Action committee formed

1966 Greater Northwood Community Council formed with leadership from St. Matthew

1966-1980 — Msgr. Clare O’Dwyer (Pastor)

1967 First Folk Mass offered

1972 Women invited to serve as Lectors

Late 1970’s  Christ Renews His Parish implemented

1977 St. Matthew is a founding parish of BUILD

1980-1984 — Fr. Jack Collopy (Pastor)

1984-1990  Fr. Wayne Funk (Pastor)

1989 St. Matthew and St. Thomas More School merge to form Cardinal Shehan School

1990-Present  Fr. Joseph Muth (Pastor)

1991 Gospel Choir is formed

2000 Immigration Outreach Service Center (IOSC) opens its doors

2001 Comboni Missionary Sisters come to Baltimore, residing at St. Matthew

2003 Labyrinth was built as an Eagle Scout project of Ben DeLisle

2005 Addition completed to church building including improvements to hall

2010-Present Fr. Joseph Muth assigned as Pastor at Blessed Sacrament

2010 LEAD Ministries formed

2011 Northeast Nine convenes with nine parishes in the City’s northeast corridor.

2013 Seven parishes Blessed Sacrament, Most Precious Blood, St. Anthony of Padua, St. Dominic, St. Francis of Assisi, Little Flower, and St. Matthew form the Northeast Catholic Community (NECC) to collaborate on addressing the faith needs of those living in Northeast Baltimore.

2014 Faith Formation Center opens and Faith Formation Director hired through the collaboration of the NECC

2014 Partnership in faith against hate formed with the Ahmadiyya Mosque congregation

2017  — Present Faith communities of St. Matthew and Blessed Sacrament collaborate to offer Holy Day services

2019 — Fr. Joseph Muth celebrates 45 years in the priesthood

2019 — Parish celebrates 70 year