Authorization to establish St. Matthew Parish was given in June 1949 when there were no buildings, but this section of the city was one of the fastest growing areas.
A Pastor was appointed and a house was purchased and used as a temporary rectory. The first building constructed was the auditorium which served as the temporary church, assembly room for school and parish activities, and as a cafeteria. The three-story convent designed to accommodate 15 sisters was the second building completed. In 1964, 15 years after St. Matthew Parish was established, the church was completed and Dedicated. Over the years, additions and renovations have continued to be made on the buildings, many Liturgical changes have been made, the church’s mission continues to evolve with the changing times, and many people from other communities have joined the Parish family. In recent years, immigrants from over 35 countries have come to St. Matthew making it a mosaic of the children of God. St. Matthew is actively involved in community social action, as well as international support for various causes throughout the world.
The St. Matthew Parish buildings constructed and renovated over the years have become a body that lives when all are gathered within it.